Welcome to the NZSSD website
The Annual Scientific Meeting and Annual General Meeting is the premier meeting, rotating around the country, with invited international and national experts giving plenary sessions and focussed topic reviews. There are also scientific presentations by clinicians and basic scientists in oral and poster fora.
The 2018 meeting will be held in Hamilton, 1-4 May 2018, registration is open and key dates are:
- There are 5 awards available for presenters ASM awards
- Early bird registration ends: 23 March 2018
- Registrations close: 13 April 2018
- Research grants close: 6 April 2018 Information/application
- Conference website
- Travel grant application: Close 16 March 2018
- Company sponsorship enquiries to email@example.com
- Professor Lori Laffel, Joslin Diabetes Centre, Boston, USA
- Associate Professor Leigh Perreault, University of Southern California, USA
- Dr Matire Harwood GP - Papakura Marae Health Clinic, NZ
(Awarded a fellowship in the L’Oreal UNESCO for Women in Science Program)
- Dr Rob Beaglehole, Clinical Dentist - Nelson Marlborough DHB, NZ
NZSSD is an incorporated society that is open to those involved in the care of people with diabetes. It has over 400 members including diabetes specialist physicians, diabetes specialist nurses, podiatrists, dietitians, ophthalmologists, general physicians, family doctors, community health workers and allied industries.
NZSSD is the national advisory body on scientific and clinical diabetes care and standards. NZSSD's objectives are to promote the study of diabetes and the best standards of care of diabetes in New Zealand. It also provides the national reference source in the subject.
All opinions and position statements are approved by the NZSSD Executive before being posted on this website
NZSSD holds an Annual Scientific Meeting with local and overseas speakers and presentation of original papers. The executive of NZSSD arbitrates the award of research grants in the field and also sponsors a professional development scholarship for non-medical members.
NZSSD publishes “Newsweet”, a quarterly newletter to members. Media enquiries should be directed to the President or Chairman.
NZSSD administers awards and grants - refer to "Awards and Grants"
In 2017 the following grants were awarded:
- i-SENS and Pharmaco